Notes on the Atrocities
Like a 100-watt radio station, broadcasting to the dozens...

Saturday, July 26, 2003  

Edward Hoagland, writing in the August Harper's, has written a passage that captures how I felt when I first started this blog.

"But although dissent is a minority position, and most of us don't want to dispute with a more powerful constituency or to challenge an injustice that hasn't injured us, it is still an exercise, an impulse, that most of us indulge in, at least during our late years, for reasons of self-respect, and maybe in order to square ourselves with God. We all see outrages we gloss over--whether the price of glaucoma medicine to old people or the current mistreatment of Arab Americans.... But it's risky and consuming in a turbulent period like this, with even jail in the offing, and requires a pileup of atrocities to override our caution and numbness."

Actually, when I first started this blog it was the year 2000, and it wasn't a blog, it was a Microsoft Word file on which I documented the particularly egregious abuses of power as they happened, so that I wouldn't forget them. Maybe I was documenting them for myself, to ensure I was witness to enough of the atrocities to override my own caution and numbness. Hoagland (don't confuse him with Jim) captures the sense nicely, not only in this quote, but in the article. As always, I urge non-readers to check Harper's out; I regard it as the most indispensable reading in the dark days of the Bush II administration.

posted by Jeff | 5:07 PM |
Blogroll and Links