Notes on the Atrocities
Like a 100-watt radio station, broadcasting to the dozens...


Wednesday, July 23, 2003  

[Follow-up]

"As my mother would have put it, 'when they were passing out moderation, you were hiding behind the door. I learned a very painful lesson on Friday. As members you deserve better judgment from me and you'll get it."

Rep. Bill Thomas, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, choking back tears while sort of apologizing.


This in regard to the "poor judgment" he exercised when he called the cops on Democrats last Friday. (I really hope we aren't witnessing an emerging responsibility-dodging strategy: "and to the American people, let me just say I exercised poor judgment when I repeatedly mentioned that Iraq was a threat, when in fact, it merely represented an easy way for me to boost my approval rating...")

Though it was pretty striking (listen to his voice crack here), not everyone was impressed.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, one of a few members of her party not to stand in applause after Thomas spoke, told reporters that the record "does not bear" out a portion of the remarks he made. "So while I'm sympathetic to the generosity of spirit that it took for him to make those statements, and I respect the fact that he did that, it didn't mean that I had to stand up and cheer," she said.


That Pelosi wouldn't cut him slack shows how bad things have gotten. Looks like the Democrats have finally decided it's not good enough to suspend Democracy and then try to pretty things up (without accepting responsibility) later. Can't say I blame 'em.

posted by Jeff | 8:17 PM |
File
archives
Blogroll and Links
Commerce