Notes on the Atrocities
Like a 100-watt radio station, broadcasting to the dozens...

Monday, September 08, 2003  

Apparently there's some truth to that old saw "it's not what you know, it's who you know." Ever since reading about Baumol's Cost Disease in the New Yorker, I've been mentioning it to whomever will listen. Including my friend Patrick Emerson, who, as it happens, is a professor of economics at UC-Denver (one of the few of our cohort who managed to not only start grad school, but finish).

He sent in a letter to the editor to the Denver Post last month, and discussed Baumol's. This led to a phone call from one of their writers, and ultimately to this article and a debate about the cost of higher ed.

What, exactly, is my role in all of this? Sure, Patrick was the one who slogged through four grad schools and ultimately Cornell's rigorous econ program to get a doctorate. He also subscribes to the New Yorker, where, presumably, he read the same article I did. So there is an outside chance--we're talking serious longshot, here--that he wrote in to the Post without provocation. On the other hand, I did mention it to him. I'm not the kind of person who likes to blow my own horn, so I'll let you draw your own conclusions. But, I mean, you can add two and two, right?

In seriousness, congrats to Dr. Emerson, who's getting the word out on Baumol (whatever his inspiration).

posted by Jeff | 2:53 PM |
Blogroll and Links