Notes on the Atrocities
Like a 100-watt radio station, broadcasting to the dozens...

Friday, October 10, 2003  

Is everybody already on this?

Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh announced during his radio show Friday that he is addicted to painkillers and is checking into a rehab center to "break the hold this highly addictive medication has on me."

"... Immediately following this broadcast, I am checking myself into a treatment center for the next 30 days to once and for all break the hold this highly addictive medication has on me," he added.

...Law enforcement sources who spoke on condition of anonymity confirmed to The Associated Press that Limbaugh was being investigated by the Palm Beach County, Fla., state attorney's office.

"At the present time, the authorities are conducting an investigation, and I have been asked to limit my public comments until this investigation is complete," Limbaugh said.

For this story to break on Satire Friday again shows its obsolescence. The mind boggles at the irony of such a story. Who wants to go first? Not me--it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

And seriously, addiction is brutal and unfunny, no matter how much of a career the addict has made advocating "personal responsibility." If anything positive comes out of this--and I certainly hope it will--maybe it will be that Rush will become an advocate for helping rather than punitive solutions.

posted by Jeff | 2:15 PM |
Blogroll and Links