Notes on the Atrocities
Like a 100-watt radio station, broadcasting to the dozens...

Tuesday, December 02, 2003  

I haven't spoken much about Iraq recently. Among the myriad reasons for my silence, the best is that I can offer very little to the discussion. It's a disaster, it's getting worse, and no one has the vaguest idea what to do about it (except, perhaps, visiting in the dead of night to goose poll numbers at home). With the recent indescrimate bombings and news that Sistani may be mustering Shia dissent, things seem increasingly hopeless. All I can do is gape.

I'll admit it: as much of a disaster as I predicted this thing to be, I never conceived of the full potential. During the pre-war discussions, people voicing even modest concern were called traitors. Can you imagine what the administration would have said if someone had described this situation?

The worst thing is, politics aside, I don't see any way out of this but the hard way. It's going to take years, thousands of lives, and billions of dollars.

posted by Jeff | 11:17 AM |
Blogroll and Links