Notes on the Atrocities
Like a 100-watt radio station, broadcasting to the dozens...


Sunday, March 28, 2004  

Condi was on 60 Minutes tonight. Actually is on, if you're out here on the west coast. I took a peek at the transcript and saw the final exchange. Any more than that and it won't be any fun to watch.

ED BRADLEY::
But my question is, how did [Richard Clarke's] apology [at the 9/11 hearings] make you feel? Did you think he was grandstanding? Did you think it was sincere?

CONDOLEZZA RICE:
I - I'm not going to - to question what - Dick Clarke was or was not feeling. I think from my point of view, the families need to know that - everybody understands the deep loss.

ED BRADLEY::
Will the families of those people who were killed hear an apology from you? Do you think that would be appropriate?

CONDOLEZZA RICE:
The families, I think, have heard from this president that - and from me, and from me personally in some cases in that field in Pennsylvania or at the World Trade Center, how - deeply sorry everyone is for the loss that they endured. You couldn't be human and not feel the horror of that day. We do need to stay focused on what happened to us that day. And the best thing that we can do for the memory of the victims, the best thing that we can do for the future of this country, is to focus on those who did this to us.

Now, it's possible she delivered these words with some kind of Clintonian sympathy (though it would be the first time), so I don't want to jump the gun. There's been a whole lot of talk from the White House about credibility. Having read that, let me ask: who's sounding more credible right about now?

posted by Jeff | 6:23 PM |
File
archives
Blogroll and Links
Commerce