Notes on the Atrocities
Like a 100-watt radio station, broadcasting to the dozens...


Tuesday, April 20, 2004  

For some reason, Josh has a different gaggle than is posted on the White House's web site. His is far more interesting. To the question of whether Bush and the Saudis conspired to fix prices for his re-election campaign, McClellan waffled:

QUESTION: Does the White House have any knowledge of such a commitment?

MR. McCLELLAN: Again, I’m not going to speak for Prince Bandar. You can direct those questions --

QUESTION: Is there a deal?

MR. McCLELLAN: -- I wouldn’t speculate one way or the other. You can direct those questions to him, but I’m telling you --

QUESTION: I’m not asking you to speculate either. Do you have knowledge of such a commitment?

MR. McCLELLAN: I’m telling you what our views are and what we've stated, and I'm telling you what I do know, which is that our position is very clear when it comes to oil prices and what our views are. And Prince Bandar spoke to you all just a few weeks ago out at the stakeout after meeting with some White House officials and expressed --

QUESTION: So you have no knowledge of such a commitment?

MR. McCLELLAN: -- and expressed their view. I'm not going to try to speak for Prince Bandar. You can direct those questions to him.

He might as well just have said "yes." Because, when the press asks if you conspire with a foreign country to help fix an election, you damn sure say "no," if you didn't do such a thing.

posted by Jeff | 9:08 AM |
File
archives
Blogroll and Links
Commerce