Notes on the Atrocities
Like a 100-watt radio station, broadcasting to the dozens...

Wednesday, May 19, 2004  

Andy Kaufman is not Dead

Well, he probably is, but there's at least a little intrigue. First, recall that in 1984, he promised to return from the dead exactly 20 years after his death--last Sunday, if you weren't keeping close track. A nice moment to reminisce about his strange genius, right?

Well, the legend lives, even if Andy doesn't. Via Susan (now featuring comments!) we learn that Andy has a blog. There are even pictures there--of a bloated Tony Clifton. Writes the blogger:

I'm back...

Now for your obvious first question. "How can I know this is the real Andy Kaufman, and not some prankster punk kid?" Well, all I can say is that definitive proof that I am the real Andy Kaufman will be forthcoming. For now, you'll just have to trust me.

A search on the 'net for the DNA proof led me to a promising link at eMediaWire. The lead reads "Andy Kaufman faked his own death 20 years ago and has returned, alive and well. DNA tests prove that this is indeed the real Kaufman and not another hoax." Ah, but wait! The release has been pulled:

"We're sorry. This release has been placed on 'Dispute Hold'."

Well, I'm sure it's a fake, but I'll say this: if Andy Kaufman is alive and this is for real, I'm damn pleased he fired up a blog.

posted by Jeff | 6:02 PM |
Blogroll and Links